Dosage and Administration
Octagam 5% is for intravenous use only
|Recommended Dose and Infusion Rate|
|Dose||Initial infusion rate||Maintenance infusion rate
every 3-4 weeks
Ensure that patients with pre-existing renal insufficiency are not volume depleted; discontinue octagam 5% liquid if renal function deteriorates.
For patients at risk for developing renal dysfunction administer octagam 5% at the minimum rate of infusion practicable (less than 0.07 mL/kg/min [3.3 mg/kg/min]).
- As there are significant differences in the half-life of IgG among patients with PI, the frequency and amount of immunoglobulin therapy may vary from patient to patient. The proper amount can be determined by monitoring clinical response
- Dosage may be adjusted over time to achieve the desired trough levels and clinical responses
- If a patient on regular treatment missed a dose, the missed dose should be administered as soon as possible, and then treatment should continue as before
- If a patient has been exposed to measles, administer a dose of 400 mg/kg as soon as possible and within 6 days of exposure.
- If a patient is at risk of future measles exposure and receives a dose of less than 530 mg/kg every 3-4 weeks, the dose should be increased to at least 530 mg/kg
- Octagam 5% must not be mixed with other medicinal products or administered simultaneously with other intravenous preparation in the same infusion set
- Infusion line may be flushed before and after administration of octagam 5% liquid with either normal saline or 5% dextrose in water
- Do not use a needle of larger than 16 gauge to prevent the possibility of coring. Insert needle only once, within the stopper area delineated (by the raised ring for penetration). The stopper should be penetrated perpendicular to the plane of the stopper within the ring
- Octagam 5% is not supplied with an infusion set. If an in-line filter is used the pore size should be 0.2-200 microns
- Octagam 5% should be at room temperature during administration. Only administer intravenously
|Rate of administration|
|Rate of administration||mg/kg/min (mg/kg/hour)||mL/kg/min|
|First 30 min||0.5 (30)||0.01|
|Next 30 min||1.0 (60)||0.02|
|Next 30 min||2.0 (120)||0.04|
Preparation and handling
- Octagam 5% liquid should not be diluted
- Do not mix with IgIV products from other manufacturers
- Content of octagam 5% liquid bottles may be pooled under aseptic conditions into sterile infusion bags and infused within 8 hours after pooling
- Octagam 5% liquid bottle is for single use only. Octagam 5% liquid contains no preservative. Any bottle that has been opened should be used promptly. Partially used bottles should be discarded
- Any unused product or waste material should be disposed of in accordance with local requirements
- Octagam® [Immune Globulin Intravenous (Human)] 5% Liquid Preparation [prescribing information]. Paramus, NJ: Octapharma USA. Inc; rev April 2019.